Sunday, June 19, 2011

Zoe

Zoey is doing really well. She gets along great with my roommates black lab but my girlfriends bouvier, Ruby, still needs some time to adjust to not being the only dog in the house. She just ignores the puppy instead of playing with her like my roommates dog. I think, with time, they'll become good friends though.

Yes, it is interesting here at home; the Bouviers don't even notice the little Papillon...it's like she's a gnat or something. As you say, they will get used to one another although there may be some wrestling for position in your household.

I just have a couple questions for you. I noticed in one of your posts that an owner had given their puppy shots. I know it's partly the owners decision on how many shots to give and when; however, I wanted your personal opinion on what to do. In an earlier email you said you vaccinated your own puppies at 12 weeks. I was wondering when I do vaccinate my puppy again at 12 weeks, what types of shots should i give her since there is the slight possibility of over-vaccinating.

Yes, with the puppy I keep from Birdie's litter we will have one vaccination as a little puppy and then another at 12 weeks. We vaccinate for distemper and parvo primarily since I have seen both diseases in pups. However, my new/local vet says leptospirosis is on the uprise here in Wisconsin so I will likely add that with my pup. She says that it tends to be a rural disease but had seen it also in Chicago where she worked last. I have had a few puppies who developed auto-immune issues from overvaccination where the pups are given multi-vaccines every two weeks until they are 4 months old. You can look here: http://www.briarleabouvier.com/vaccinations.htm - we use what they are describing as program "B" because most of my pups go to homes where they want them vaccinated before they leave my care.

I noticed that Zoey scarfs down her food the second I feed her and afterward, she still seems hungry. I'm feeding her 1/3 cup three times a day as well as training treats. Should I increase the amount of food I give her or is this normal?

Yes, she likely needs quite a bit more food than that -- I would put down at least a cup per time and let her eat her fill within about 10 minutes. When she stops eating, pick the bowl up and put it away until her next feeding. Don't leave her constant access to food or you'll never get her housetrained. Gradually increase the amount as she grows.

I don't want Zoey to go in heat, so at what age would be a good time to get her fixed? I know this is probably opinion based and varies everywhere you ask, but I feel like I trust your opinion the most.

Yes it does - - we have currently been advising spaying and/or neutering at around 14-15 months when the growth plates are done growing. However, if you don't want to go through a season you will want to do it sometime around 8 months.

Zoey has definitely been an amazing puppy so far. I feel as though Gus and Zoey have very similar personalities. She sleeps from 10-5;30 every night in her crate without an accident or whining. Zoey is almost potty trained and catching on quickly to the basic commands (sit, down, stay, and come). Sleeping has definitely been her favorite activity so far, but as soon as she gets a little more comfortable with her leash, I'm sure going on walks will be.

She sounds delightful! I"m so pleased to hear that these puppies are adapting so well. They are still puppies and can be full of spit and vinegar but I"m glad to hear they're adjusting!

Thanks for everything,

No comments:

Post a Comment